Batteries

The batteries that came with the boat were:

House bank: 2 x 110Ahr
Starter: 1 x 110Ahr

One of the house bank batteries died (it started sulphurating and then wouldn’t hold charge) while on our shore power charger. This forced us to think about the batteries.

We have left the starter battery as it is as this seemed pretty good. For the house bank we now have 4 x Trojan T-105 6V 220Ahr batteries. So we now have 440Ahr capacity (double what we did have). We have built a new battery box to house the extra 2 batteries.

We also solved the problem of how to connect everything to them.

Home made battery terminal extensions
Home made battery terminal extensions

6mm x 25mm copper bar (made from of copper tape lightning conductor) drilled and tapped with M8 brass bolts for terminals.

We need these because we have the following directly connected to our batteries:

  • One 1 both 2 switch (that feeds everything on the switch panel)
  • A split charge relay & sensing cables
  • A shore power charger & sensing cables
  • Two solar panels MPPT controllers & sensing cables
  • The alternator & sensing cables for smart regulator
  • The battery monitor sensing cables
  • The windlass

Nothing we think shouldn’t be there but too much to fit onto a single short M8 stud.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s